Monday, June 20, 2011

How I Killed Blender With Subsurfaces... Oops

During the week or so I have been working, Blender has only crashed once, and that was my fault - I added a subsurface modifier to a mesh then set the subdivisions to, say, possibly 100! This cut up the surface of a mesh into thousands of smaller polygons, and created some kind of math that my computer couldn't handle. Needless to say - don't do that when you learn how to use subsurfaces and subdivisions. 
Anyway, this is how I did it, and this is also how to create a subsurface modifier if you are curious:
  • In Blender 2.57 open a new project
  • Right click your default cube (it should already be selected)
  • Go to your Properties panel (hover your mouse over a panel and press SHIFT+F7)
  • Go to Modifiers (the wrench icon) > Add Modifier > Subdivision Surface
If you look at your cube in the 3D View window you'll notice that it has "rounded out" into a clumpy spherical shape. If you increase the subdivisions, this breaks up the 6 faces of the cube into more and more polygons. With the next two steps I managed to kill Blender.
  • Found Subdivisions option and set to 100 (or anything over 7 I've come to find)
  • Pressed Enter ( KABLAMO - broken )
click to enlarge

As a side-note, I found when you set Subdivisions, be sure to set both View and Render.  If you don't adjust the Render property, your rendered image or animation will look different than your view.  Keeping the View number low when making a model and rigging animations helps the program run faster in real-time playback (there are less polygons to keep track of).

No comments:

Post a Comment